History of the Henry County Soil and Water Conservation District
A Soil and Water Conservation District is a governmental body created by state law for the purpose of promoting the protection and conservation of soil, water and natural resources in the county and state. Although a SWCD is a governmental body, it is not a branch of federal, state or county government. A SWCD is classified as a local unit of government. Each SWCD is governed by a five-member board of directors. Directors are elected by land owners and occupiers of the land in the county. The SWCD board meets regularly to administer a program of work that fits the needs and natural resources concerns in the county. There are 98 Soil and Water Conservation Districts in the state of Illinois.
In 1932, the Illinois State Legislature approved the creation of Soil and Water Conservation Districts through the Soil and Water Conservation Act. The Munson Soil Conservation District was formed August 4, 1939. Henry County was the second district organized in Illinois. The Munson Soil Conservation District originally encompassed Munson Township, and parts of Osco and Cambridge Townships. By 1949, the entire county was included and the name changed to Henry County Soil Conservation District. The named was changed to Henry County Soil and Water Conservation District in 1962. The mission of the Henry County Soil and Water Conservation District is to provide leadership and administer programs to help conserve, improve and sustain our natural resources and environment.
“Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land.”